Although the reasons for moving home are usually positive, like moving to a larger property or a new job, the move itself can be traumatic. Use our tips to make the move go smoothly.
Use moving house as an opportunity to sort out your possessions. Throw away your rubbish and separate items that can be given to friends or charity shops. If you are packing yourself, get boxes well in advance. If the moving company you are using is packing for you then you don't have to worry about anything anymore once all your belongings are sorted out. For more advice, take a look at our packing tips article.
- hire a removal company at least two weeks before you move (more during the summer)
- use a removal company who is a member of the Association of Removers
- check the fine print in your moving insurance
- make a list of your possessions so you can check if you've left anything behind
It will help if you let the company know the following things:
- the amount of furniture you're moving, so they can choose an adequately sized truck and plan the number of journeys needed between your old and new home
- a rough guess of how many boxes the company needs to pack, so they can estimate how long it will take
- the time you want the team to arrive
- clear instructions and directions to your new property
- arrange a parking space for the removal van
- always tell the removal firm well in advance of pieces of furniture which won't go through the door
- make a plan of where the furniture needs to go in your new home